Voices of Courage, February 10, 2019
Today we discuss the impact of addiction and the many pieces of the addiction recovery process that are necessary for a successful transition into a substance-free life.
Did you know that drug and alcohol addictions affect people from all walks of life? Of course, you do! But, you may not know this... According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, more than 80,000 people die from alcohol-related deaths each year in the United States.
On top of an already staggering alcohol problem, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration says that 1 in 10 Americans has a drug problem, with drug overdoses alone killing about 72,000 people in the United States just last year.
I’m dedicating this episode of our show towards bringing more awareness of the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse and its impact on our society as a whole so that we can work together to change addiction in America.
My first guest, Kay White, is a spiritual life coach, certified yoga instructor, and the executive director at Villa Kali Ma, which is a recovery program exclusively for women. She joins me today to share her personal journey of healing and learning to love and value herself after three decades of suffering from alcohol, drug, and relationship addiction. Kay shares how she was able to change her story from one of a victim to a true survivor.
My second guest, Deni Carise, Ph.D., is a clinical psychologist that has been part of the recovery community for over 30 years and is currently Chief Scientific Officer of Recovery Centers of America. She joins me today to discuss the transition from her own recovery into helping others recover from their addictions, and shares why a full continuum of care is crucial in supporting the likelihood of any successful recovery.
- Becoming aware of the signs and symptoms of people struggling with drug or alcohol abuse
- Why emotional pain and unhealed trauma often contribute to addictive behaviors
- The important elements of a successful recovery program that create fundamental change
- The norms and stigmas in our society today that stop many people from seeking recovery
- The main contributing factors of the extreme opioid epidemic in our country today
- Different options for treating opioid problems and why withdraw today is extremely difficult
- What Fentanyl and Carfentanil are and how they've severely impacted the opioid crisis
- The evidence-based practices being used in recovery centers to aid in a successful recovery
- What to look for in a treatment program and why people shouldn't fly away for treatment
- What a "full continuum of care" looks like in substance abuse treatment and why it's crucial
Learn More About Ken D Foster
Thanks For Listening!
Support my show
$2.99/mo or $5.99/mo or $9.99/mo
SUBSCRIBE TO TALK SHOW
Ken D Fosters Voices of Courage Radio – Podcast – TV Show is Making a Difference by Inspiring and Igniting the Dreams of our Listeners to Grow their Businesses and Lives by Knowing the Unknowable, Seeing the Unseeable and Doing the Impossible.
HOW WE DO IT
We bring Wise Guests on the Voices of Courage Shows who Empower
our Listeners to Expand their Consciousness, Realize Who they Truly
Are, in Order to Fulfill their Noble Goals. We also Deliver to our
Insider Members, Books, Special Guest Interviews,
and Programs Designed to Fulfill our Mission.
Key Word Categories:
Philosophy of Wisdom
Psychology of Success