Leonard Perlmuttter is one of the Western world’s leading pioneers in the introduction of meditation into the cultural firmament, having founded the American Meditation Institute (AMI) in Averill Park, New York in 1996. AMI’s courses are now approved and accredited by the American Medical Association and the American Nurses Association. Leonard also serves as the author and editor of “Transformation,” the Journal of Meditation as Mind/Body Medicine.
However, today he is here to talk about his seminal book The Heart and Science of Yoga: The American Meditation Institute’s Empowering Self-Care Program for a Happy, Healthy, Joyful Life, which is an encyclopedic guide to meditation and the Yoga Science that lies behind it. This book has been praised by such popular medical luminaries as Drs. Dean Ornish, Mehmet Oz and Larry Dossey and is highly regarded as the most accessible source of knowledge about adapting the 8 Steps of Yoga Science—including meditation—into a busy and stress-filled life....so you can reach a new level of peace, contentment, wellbeing and achievement.
Over the past thirty-nine years, Leonard has served on the faculties of the New England Institute of Ayurvedic Medicine in Boston, Massachusetts and the International Himalayan Yoga Teachers Association in Calgary, Canada. He has studied in Rishikesh, India and is a direct disciple of Swami Rama of the Himalayas––the man who, in laboratory conditions at the Menninger Institute, demonstrated that blood pressure, heart rate and the autonomic nervous system can be voluntarily controlled. These research demonstrations have been one of the major cornerstones of the mind/body movement.
Leonard has presented informative workshops on the benefits of meditation and Yoga Science at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, The Albany Medical College, The New York Times forum on Yoga Science, the Commonwealth Club of California, the University of Wisconsin School of Nursing, the Washington University Medical School, the University of Colorado Medical School and the West Point Association of Graduates.
• The Heart and Science of Yoga: The American Meditation Institute’s Empowering Self-Care Program for a Happy, Healthy, Joyful Life by Leonard Perlmutter, with Jenness Cortez Perlmutter $24.98 Available from the American Meditation Institute on Amazon.com.
- American Meditation Institute
- 60 Garner Road Averill Park, NY 12018
- Phone: (518) 674-8714
• Comprehensive Meditation and Easy-Gentle Yoga, 5 1/2 Hour Online Video Course: In this 40 segment video Leonard Perlmutter leads you through the entire curriculum contained in the revised and expanded paperback edition of The Heart and Science of Yoga.” This the perfect companion for learning and practicing the world’s oldest and most effective holistic mind/body medicine.
• Throughout the year Leonard presents numerous online distance-learning courses that stream different aspects of The Heart and Science of Yoga curriculum in real time. Students around the world regularly attend his popular “Yoga Psychology” online course in which he examines and explains the perennial and practical psychology of the Bhagavad Gita scripture.