Common Sense, January 19, 2010
on Common Sense with host Jim Alger
Founder of I'm With COCO
Mike Mitchell is the artist behind the I'm With COCO poster that has been taking the internet by storm. What started as an effort to show support for Conan O'Brien in his fracas with NBC has evolved in to a worldwide phenomenon almost overnight. When Mike announced a rally outside Universal Studios what he thought would be a hundred people tops swelled to thousands with sympathetic rallies in cities across the country. The I'm With COCO facebook fan page already has over 600,000 members.
At his core, Jim is guided by the words of John F. Kennedy "...in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish ourchildren's future, and we are all mortal".
Jim's ability to unite people from all walks of life, and political backgrounds in order to create solutions instead of merely complaining about the problems is one of the reasons many describe him as a "Kennedy Democrat". He holds a vision not of the way things are but rather the way things could be, working tirelessly for all of us and doing what is ultimately right, regardless of the cost.
- Local Control over land use decisions so you decide what goes in your neighborhood
- Creating an "Economic Infrastructure" component to major new development to ensure that residents of new communities can afford to live there by working there
- Ending the continuing gridlock on our local freeways beginning with the long overdue 405 expansion project
- Adoption of "California Clean Money" ending the stranglehold of special interest money on politics
- Universal Healthcare for all Californians
- Incentives for increased public transit use
- Restriction and ultimate closure of all urban landfills in California
- Expanding after school care programs
- Improving our education system