DENISE FLECK is an award-winning author and animal care instructor who developed the curriculum for her Pet First-Aid & CPCR Classes after training with dozens of schools and organizations, practicing, attending seminars and practicing some more. She has taught more than 10,000 animal lovers life-saving skills and has appeared on Animal Planet’s Groomer Has It and Pit Boss, A&E’s Kirstie Alley’s Big Life, CBS-TV’s The Doctors, CNN Headline News, PBS-TV’s Lassie’s Pet Vet and KTLA Los Angeles as well as on radio and in magazines.
Denise also created the curriculum for and teaches a 20 week course in Animal Care through the Burbank Unified School District for high school juniors and seniors at the Burbank Animal Shelter. “As the proud instructor, I hope one of my students will cure a debilitating debilitating canine disease or end animal homelessness, but if each student adopts a shelter pet (particularly a Senior), shares with friends the need for spay/neuter or never harms or judges a dog by his breed alone, I’ll still wag my tail,” she smiles.
Fleck’s books include her most comprehensive work, The Pet Safety Bible in conjunction with Pet World Insider; Quickfind Books’ Dog First Aid & CPR, Cat First Aid & CPR, How to Take Care of Your Dog or Puppy and How to Take Care of Your Cat or Kitten and coming in 2016 Pet Disaster Preparedness; Rescue Critters Pet First Aid for Kids and her award-winning Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover which received the Dog Writers Association of America’s Maxwell Medallion for Best Children’s Book and honors in the London Book Festival. The first sequel, Start Off on the Right Paw, continues the “do not judge” message and stresses the importance of proper dog-to-dog introductions. Denise has also won the Cat Writer’s Award of Excellence, Volunteer of the Year from the Burbank Police Department for her work at the Animal Shelter and has twice been a finalist as the Pet Industry’s Woman of the Year.
Denise is delighted to debut “Pet Safety Crusader Radio” on BBS Radio and looks forward to sharing important animal care and safety information with her listeners. She currently resides in Southern California with her husband Paul and their pack…two rescued Akitas, Haiku and Bonsai. She has had the privilege of being Dog Mom to eleven and Cat Mom to one over the years.
CREDENTIALS IN BRIEF:
- Has personally taught more than 10,000 animal lovers (pet parents, trainers, vet techs, groomers, dog day care providers, cat hotel operators, rescue volunteers, etc.) animal life-saving skills
- Holds California Career Technical Teaching Credential in Animal Care
- Assisted with development of U.S. Homeland Security’s Training Program for K9 Handlers
- Before developing her own curriculum, trained with the Humane Society of the United States, Animal Humane Association, American Safety & Health Institute, Red Cross, Pet Tech, e-training for dogs, Business & Industry Council for Emergency Planning and Preparedness, Noah’s Wish and FEMA. More certifications can be viewed
- Author of 9 Animal Care Books
- Free-lance writer for numerous Animal Publications and blogs.
- Authored Pet First Aid portion of Animal Behavior College’s Obedience Training, Grooming and Veterinary Technician Textbooks
- 90+ Television & Radio appearances include: CBS-TV’s The Doctors, Animal Planet's Pit Boss, Groomer Has It, CNN Headline News, PBS-TV’s Lassie’s Pet Vet, Kirstie Alley’s Big Life and KTLA-TV 5 L.A.
- Twice Finalist, Pet Industry's Woman of the Year
- Dog Writers Association of America Member & 3X Maxwell Medallion Award Winner
- Cat Writers Association Member & Award Winner
- Southern California Animal Response Team Member
- Past President, Volunteers of the Burbank Animal Shelter
- Volunteer of the Year Burbank, CA Police Department