####### of the week award goes to 23-year-old Raymond O. Porter

####### of the week award goes to 23-year-old Raymond O. Porter
Posted By: 
Officer of the Peace
Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:51 pm



Sunday, December 3, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

Detectives piecing together what led to shootings

Seattle Times

\".....The events began to unfold in White Center at 1:42 a.m., when a man, apparently lost, crashed his black pickup into a parked car outside a house party at Southwest 104th Street and 12th Avenue Southwest, according to Sheriff\'s spokesman John Urquhart. He said partygoers jumped the man, beating and shooting him twice in the head. The man\'s injuries were not life-threatening.

A neighbor called 911 and, within minutes, Cox and four other deputies arrived and began interviewing about 15 people at the house. Cox, who was assigned to the White Center precinct, knew several witnesses and began interviewing them one at a time in a back bedroom.

At about 2:50 a.m., two other deputies heard a single gunshot from the bedroom, Urquhart said. A man identified by sources as Raymond O. Porter, 23, of Burien, a convicted felon, emerged with a gun in his hand and opened fire.

He and the other deputies traded a fusillade of bullets before the Burien man was killed on the spot, Urquhart said.

Cox was rushed to Harborview Medical Center, where he died about three hours later. He is survived by a wife and a 1-year-old son.

Saturday, sheriff\'s deputies — their shields covered in black tape as a symbol of mourning — closed two blocks around the White Center home and seized several cars. Detectives are examining what gang ties Porter may have had, and have questioned about a dozen partygoers at a nearby Seattle Police precinct. No arrests have been made.

The deputies who fired the fatal shots were placed on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, Urquhart said. Although there are no living witnesses to Cox\'s death, investigators are confident that they killed Cox\'s attacker, he said.

Detectives are also investigating whether Porter shot the pickup driver. The injured man returned to the scene Saturday afternoon, his head swathed in bandages, in a futile attempt to retrieve his cellphone from his pickup.

\"I don\'t remember anything. I\'m tired and I need to go home,\" said the man, who declined to give his name.